Caramelized Coconut Cake: A perfect Easter Dessert!
Caramelized Coconut Cake is a cake that I CRAVE. The cake is buttery moist and has great flavor. However the very best part of this cake is the topping. After the cake is made I put a mixture of coconut, brown sugar and butter on top of the cake and PLACE IT UNDER THE BROILER. That’s right, the broiler. It toasts the coconut and caramelizes the brown sugar and butter. Incroyable! This is the best coconut cake ever!
Make for your Easter dessert and delight your family and guests!
Caramelized Coconut Cake
1 cup milk
4 T butter
2 cups sugar
1 T vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 t. baking powder
¼ t. salt
1 stick butter melted
½ cup plus 2 T packed brown sugar
1 cup coconut
1T vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9x13 pan.
2. In a small saucepan, heat the milk and butter until scalding.
3. In the meantime, start beating the eggs with an electric mixer, add the sugar and beat until foamy. With the beater on low speed, add the hot milk and vanilla.
4. Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together in a bowl. Beat this into the egg mixture with the beater on low speed. Pour the batter into prepared pan.
5. Bake for about 30-40 minutes checking the cake with a toothpick after 25 minutes. Let sit for about 15 minutes.
6. Prepare the topping by mixing melted butter, and brown sugar. Add the coconut and vanilla. Spread the mixture over the cake as evenly as possible making sure you cover every part of the cake.
7. Place the cake under the broiler 4-6 inches from the heat. Broil til the topping is bubbly and brown, just a few minutes. Do not take your eyes off the cake. Turn the cake if necessary to brown it evenly. Watch very carefully as it turns from brown to burnt very quickly.
8. Let the cake cool to room temperature (if you can wait), cut into large squares and then cut in triangles and serve.